1. Who of the following wrote a morality play that could be likened to Star Wars and Lord of the Rings?
A. Guillaume de Machaut
B. Hildegard von Bingen
C. William Byrd
D. Thomas Weelkes
2. An example of a percussion instrument is the
3. The early forms of notes in the Middle Ages are called
4. The original version of _______ is for voices, with a text to be sung, but the common medieval practice of performing music involves using whatever instruments were at hand.
A. "I Can All Too Well Compare My Lady"
B. "Eagle Dance"
C. "He Who Gladly Serves"
D. "Behold, Spring"
5. Accented notes that run against the regular pulse of the musical meter are referred to as
A. duple meter.
6. A single, long note held underneath a melodic line is known as a
A. drone bass.
D. homophonic line.
7. An example of a double reed musical instrument is the
8. In _______ texture, every line is a melody.
9. What does it mean when cadences are elided?
A. A single syllable of text is sung to many notes.
B. The melodic lines are sung by three singers.
C. A new line of text and music begins before the previous one has come to a complete stop.
D. The notes run against the regular pulse of the musical meter, with accents on beats other than "1" and "3."
10. When a composer sets a single syllable of a word to several notes of music, he or she is using _______ style.
11. Renaissance composers used which of the following to create polyphonic textures?
A. Ternary forms
12. Which of the following statements is not true of music written in the major mode?
A. All national anthems begin and end in the major mode.
B. Music written in the major mode generally conveys optimism and joy.
C. The major mode corresponds to the scale produced by singing "do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do."
D. Two of the seven notes are slightly higher than those of the minor mode and thus create a different kind of sound.
13. A _______ is a sacred choral work composed by those writing for the Roman Catholic Church.
C. secular song
14. Roy will play a melody in triple meter and place the pulse of the meter on the first beat. Chuck will play the triple meter melody and place the pulse of the meter on the third beat. Who is playing the melody with the correct pulse?
B. Both are playing the melody correctly.
D. Neither is playing the melody correctly.
15. In plainchant, a sentence of text almost always ends with
A. the note D.
B. disjunct motion.
D. a minor chord.
16. Which song exemplifies four-voice Renaissance polyphony, with each voice playing an equally important role?
A. "The Cricket"
B. "Sing Joyfully"
C. "Since Robin Hood"
D. "My Lord Help Me to Pray"
17. Which one of the following was one of the most popular instruments in Medieval and Renaissance times and occasionally involved the use of plectrum to play it?
D. Organ portative
18. In musical language, mezzo forte (mf) signals that the music's volume should be
B. medium loud.
C. very loud.
D. medium soft.
19. Native American chant incorporates meaningless sung syllables called _______, which serve as a form of melodic instrument.
A. drone basses
D. duple meters
20. The texture of Gregorian chant is said to be