1. Which of the following statement about Baroque music is true?
A. The form is primarily sectional.
B. Word painting is limited.
C. The melody is lyrical and rare virtuosic.
D. Polyphonic and homophonic textures coexist.
2. Which of the following type of polyphony is used in a fugue?
B. Fugal exposition
C. Imitative counterpoint
D. Middle entry
3. Very few of compositions written by _______ were published during his lifetime.
4. _______ is a form of polyphony consisting of two or more rhythmically interlocking voices.
5. The Baroque period began around the year
6. An instruments-only piece played at the opening of an opera is known as a/an
D. prima prattica.
7. The _______ is a musical form that utilizes multiple soloists.
A. Gothic motet
C. concerto grosso
D. chorale prelude
8. The musical instrument referred to as the "King of Instruments" is the
A. human voice.
9. The use of two violins and a basso continuo forms which kind of music?
A. Trio sonata
B. Sonata da camera
C. Sonata da chiesa
10. Which type of music features a vocal quartet in which each voice has its own role, and the bass singer handles the repeated foundation part, often in the form of a short phrase of nonsense syllables?
A. Program music
B. Doo wop
11. Which of the following is the most frequently performed of all early operas?
A. Awake, a Voice Calls to Us
B. Dido and Aeneas
C. The Four Seasons
12. A style of vocal music that's a cross between singing and speaking is commonly referred to as
13. Another word for "round" is
14. _______ is the repetition of one pattern of notes and rhythms.
15. When a melody of the same hymn tune as the rest of the work is used, it's known as a
16. Which of the following pieces features multiple soloists, including a trumpet, oboe, violin, and recorder?
A. Orpheus, selection from Act II
B. Fugue in G Minor
C. Dido and Aeneas, Overture and Act I, nos. 1-14
D. Brandenburg Concerto no. 2
17. All of the following instruments would be likely to play the basso continuo in a Baroque musical piece, except the
18. Which part on a violin supports the strings?
A. The fingerboard
B. The chin rest
C. The tailpiece
D. The bridge
19. Handel's Messiah is classified as a/an
20. Which composer was nicknamed the Red Priest?