Pollutants can harm ecosystem function and may also harm human health.
Select 1 example of an environmental pollutant from the following list:
- Acid precipitation/ Acid rain
- DDT pesticide use
Answer the following questions about the pollution problem that you chose:
Describe the pollutant chosen and the source of the pollutants. Include both natural and human sources, as applicable.
- Is this a point-source pollutant or nonpoint-source pollutant? Explain.
What are the harmful impacts of the pollution?
- Describe impacts to both humans and to ecosystem structure and function.
What steps are in place to eliminate the pollutant or to mitigate harm from the pollutant?
- Describe examples of laws or regulations that apply to the pollution and its sources.
- Also, describe educational programs, technology, or other initiatives that are used to help control the pollution.
Have the programs, best management practices, or regulations been effective in resolving harm from the pollutant?
- Give examples of progress, or explain with examples what more could be done.