Task: Leadership Challenge: Using Sources of Power Ethically
The Management of a Multi-national company has hired me as a management consultant to help the Organization look into an area of concern. With many of the recent corporate scandals, the CEO is wondering how she can avoid these sorts of problems within her company. She has asked me to research and prepare a report that summarizes the various kinds of power she has at her disposal and how this power could be effectively utilized to avoid these sorts of problems within her own company.
1. Compile a list of myriad of leadership models that discuss sources of power, and explain the sources of the power that the CEO of a large company typically has at her disposal. It should also include the myriad of leadership models- "French and Raven Model" etc.
2. Describe how these powers can be used to avoid the various operational, administrative, and ethical problems experienced by companies. I need to also identify three specific business problems that can be addressed through the use of "influence tactics." For each specific problem, I need to provide the CEO with descriptions of the influence tactic that should be used, the source of power behind that influence tactic, and why it is believed that this influence tactic will effectively address that problem.
3. The Influence Tactics supported by a Power Source.
4. The five sources available to the CEO are Legitimate, Reward, Coercive, Referent and Expert.
OBJECTIVE: The Objective of this work requires the following:
1. Explain the role of individual differences and traits in leadership.
2. Apply ethical reasoning skills and ethical theories to business situations.
3. Recognize situations that present potential legal and ethical issues and develop solutions for those issues.
4. Apply critical thinking skills to analyze business situations.
5. Include the five sources available to the CEO: Legitimate, Reward, Coercive, Referent and Expert
6. Demonstrate an understanding of the material or an ability to disseminate the theory