Discussion Post: Biopsychosocial Holistic Approach
The assessment and incorporation of a client's spirituality has become increasingly common in the field of social work. While historically social workers were trained to avoid discussions centered on religion, we now know that spirituality encompasses many ways of believing. "The Society for Spirituality and Social Work is a network of social workers and other helping professionals dedicated to spiritually sensitive practice and education" (Society for Spirituality and Social Work, n.d.). Addressing a client's spirituality allows for a biopsychosocial holistic approach that can aid in the process of understanding illness, disability, and end-of-life issues.
For this Discussion, review the required resources and locate one scholarly article addressing spirituality with the elderly.
Provide a Discussion Post addressing the following:
• Your explanation of the significance of addressing spirituality with the elderly.
• Identify a spiritually based intervention for this population.
• Describe the effectiveness of the use of spirituality with the elderly as found in the literature.
• Then, describe your own thoughts on the use of spirituality in an intervention.
The response must include a reference list. Using Times New Roman 12 pnt font, double-space, one-inch margins, and APA style of writing and citations.
• Holosko, M. J., Skinner, J. F., Patterson, C. A., & Brisebois, K. (2013). Intervention with the elderly. In M. J. Holosko, C. N. Dulmus, & K. M. Sowers (Eds.), Social work practice with individuals and families: Evidence-informed assessments and interventions (pp. 197-235). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
• Sokolec, J. (2016). The meaning of 'place' to older adults. Clinical Social Work Journal, 44(2), 160-169.