Homework: Social and Cultural Norms
In this homework, you will argue a pro or con position involving minorities, women, or LGBTQ individuals given an audience with opposing views.
Presenting stereotypes of minorities/women/LGBTQ individuals affects viewers' conceptions of different groups.
How do such skewed views affect real-life interactions with members of minority groups? Is there a difference among such genres as comedies, dramas, police procedurals, children's shows, cartoons, and reality shows, in how marginalized people are portrayed? Can you cite any examples from your own experiences?
The media should be trusted to provide the means to change people's perceptions of minorities. Argue for or against this statement.
Your paper must outline specifically the nature of the problem and demonstrate critical thinking, sound logic, valid claims, personal passion, and credible support that is cited correctly.
Write a three-page paper in which you:
• In the introduction, include a quote, question or statistic from your text and an overview of the three major points you will cover.
• Introduce your position with a thesis statement at the end of the first paragraph.
• Provide three major points to support your thesis statement (put each major point in a separate paragraph).
• Answer each of the sub-questions in at least one paragraph each.
• Wrap up your homework with a strong conclusion in which you restate the points you made and supported.
• Organize arguments and support your claims effectively.
• Demonstrate personal passion for your position and critical thinking with persuasive language, sound logic, valid claims, and credible support for the claims.
• Provide three credible and reliable sources (in addition to the textbook) about current events, which have been published in the last five years and are cited correctly in the position paper.
Format your homework according to the give formatting requirements:
• The answer must be using Times New Roman font (size 12), double spaced, and typed, with one-inch margins on all sides.
• The response also includes a cover page containing the student's name, the title of the homework, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
• Also include a reference page. The references and Citations should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this homework is:
• Argue a pro or con position on a controversial topic considering an identified audience.