Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter Supplement: Supply Chain Information Systems.
From the end of Chapter, answer Discussion Question 3: SAP is the world leader in enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems software and has developed tailored ERP systems for different industries. Go to SAP's Portfolio Categories webpage and examine the solutions for (a) a service industry and (b) a manufacturing industry of your choice. How are they similar? How are they different?
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter: JIT/Lean Production.
From the end of Chapter, answer Discussion Question 4: The chapter notes that Kanban is not a planning tool but a control mechanism. What does this mean? How does the Marsica MRP-Kanban example in Example 13.4 in Chapter of the textbook illustrate the point?
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read the case study at the end of Chapter and the case study at the end of Chapter.
Supplement your answers with scholarly research using the University of Arizona Global Campus Library. Each case study should be addressed in four to five pages, with a total paper length of eight to 10 pages, not counting title page and references.
Case Study: The RealcoBreadmaster
• Create a master production schedule for the breadmaker in the case that considers production levels, demand for the product, and the best business strategy for the situation presented. Consider the below bullet points.
o What do the projected ending inventory and available-to-promise numbers look like?
o Has Realco "overpromised"?
o In your view, should Realco update either the forecast or the production numbers?
• Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of Jack's approach, considering how master scheduling can improve the process, and considering the organizational changes needed to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the process. Consider the below bullet points.
o What are the advantages? The disadvantages?
o How would formal master scheduling improve this process?
o What organizational changes would be required?
• Examine the impact of refusing a customer's order because of lack of supply of the product versus accepting the order and failing to deliver
o What are the implications for master scheduling?
• Describe the impact on average inventory levels and production if Realco produces 20,000 breadmakers every week rather than 40,000 every other week.
Case Study: Supply-Chain Challenges in Post-Earthquake Japan
• Explain the advantages and disadvantages of the supply chain used in the Japanese auto industry before the March 11, 2011 earthquake and tsunami.
• Evaluate whether Toyota's plan for a "foolproof" supply chain is consistent with the Lean production philosophy.
• Offer a recommendation and plan for the supply chain strategy for Toyota.
• Examine the impact Toyota's plan will have on the way it handles relationship management in its supply chain.
The Final Paper
• Must be 8 to 10 double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center's APA Formatting for Microsoft Word resource.