Homework: Wrongful Termination TACC
By successfully completing this homework, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies criteria:
1) Competency 1: Apply the laws and safety issues in the workplace.
a) Describe the case.
b) Summarize the significant issues of the case.
c) Discuss the outcome.
2) Competency 2: Create strategies for recovery from exposure to liabilities.
a) Discuss the concept of at-will employment.
b) Describe how at-will employment affects wrongful termination lawsuits.
3) Competency 3: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for members of the human resource profession.
a) Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for members of the human resource profession.
Write a 2-3 page case description of a recent case in the news related to wrongful termination. Describe the case, summarize the primary issues that exist, and include an analysis of whether this is a case of wrongful termination based on what you know and what you have studied.
Wrongful termination occurs when employment is terminated for illegal reasons or if company policy is violated when the employee is fired. HR practitioners and members of management need to be informed about how to properly handle the termination process to ensure that the employee's rights are not violated, and to ensure that the organization avoids a potentially costly wrongful termination lawsuit.
Generally, most employees are considered to be covered under the contractual "employment at will" relationship (except those covered by a collective bargaining agreement), which means an employer can terminate employment at any time, for any reason. However, wrongful termination can exist if discrimination is involved in the termination decision or if public or company policy is violated during the termination process.
During this homework, you will explore topics related to termination in the workplace. You will consider what is permissible under the law as a rationale for termination and you will consider termination as it relates to employment at will versus contract relationships. You will also consider the impact of employment at will and the effect it has on an employer's liability for wrongful termination.
Use the Capella library and the Internet to find and research a recent case in the news related to wrongful termination. Look for a case that is specifically related to human resources. Try to find the most recent instance of such a case.
Once you complete your research, write a 2-3 page case description in which you complete the following:
1) Describe the case.
2) Summarize the significant issues of the case.
3) Include a detailed discussion of the outcome. Analyze whether this is a case of wrongful termination based on what you have studied for this homework.
Format your homework according to the following formatting requirements:
(1) The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
(2) The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the homework, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
(3) Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.