Discussion: Research & Design
Part 1: Types of Research
Discuss the following:
1. Explain the differences between academic and business research approaches.
2. Explain which research approach you as a researcher would choose (quantitative, qualitative, or business) for your particular research question/problem.
Part 2: Selecting a Research Topic
• Using the worksheets in chapter 6 (pp. 37-41) and the Web sites, examine how you would determine what area you will focus on for your research project and what questions you might be asking.
• Select your research topic.
• Utilizing the CTU Library, locate 1 peer-reviewed journal article that reports the findings of a qualitative study on or related to your research topic and 1 that reports the findings of a quantitative study on or related to your topic (you will need to cite both in your response). These articles will start to build your literature review and the rationale for your research project. For example, if you want to investigate starting an online business to sell your homemade product, you may have to use the bigger topic of selling online or starting a business for your quantitative and qualitative articles.
• Provide citations and references for your articles in accordance with APA guidelines, as needed and appropriate.
The response should include a reference list. Double-space, using Times New Roman 12 pnt font, one-inch margins, and APA style of writing and citations.