Assignment: Workplace Employment And Planning
Length: 4-5 pages.
You will complete the "Staffing for a Telecommuting Job" case in the Nkomo et al. text (#49 on p. 150, 2011). You will write a 3-5-page essay (total does not include title page or reference page) that answers the 4 questions (A-D) located at the end of the case study. Do not simply answer the questions. This is an essay and must be written to include an introduction, body, and conclusion. It may prove helpful to use the topic of the questions (methods of job analysis, procedures of job analysis, etc.) as section headers in your essay. Your response must be supported by at least 2 peer-reviewed resources. These resources must have been published within the last 5 years. Do not use other textbooks. The essay must be written in current APA format and include a title page, reference page, and in-text citations.
Skill Builder 49Staffing for a Telecommuting Job
1. To give you practice in revising a job description for a telecommuting job.
2. To enhance your understanding of how to prepare a staffing plan for a telecommuting job.
3. To familiarize you with some of the differences between staffing for telecommuting job environments versus staffing for traditional job (office) environments.
2. Time Required to Complete: One to two hours
A large pharmaceutical company located in the Northeast is one of the leading manufacturers of pharmaceuticals in the United States. Because of the intense competition in the industry and the heightened competition for highly skilled personnel, the company believes that quality-of-work-life (QWL) is a key factor for achieving a competitive advantage. In support of this belief, the company is considering the adoption of a telecommuting work arrangement for selected jobs.
The job of public relations specialist has been identified as an appropriate job for telecommuting because the job responsibilities are mostly information-related activities that require independent mental effort with no supervisory responsibilities. Exhibit 2.15 below contains the current job description for the public relations specialist, which reflects the primary job activities and qualifications for a full-time, in-office public relations specialist. There is currently only one job incumbent, and that person has resigned.
Job Title: Public Relations Specialist
Department: Public Relations
Reports To: Director of Public Relations
General Summary: Serves as a writer on numerous firm publications; coordinates materials; writes, edits, and proofs articles, public relations publications, and advertising copy.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Writes, edits, and proofs public relations articles, newspaper copy, and human interest stories.
2. Writes advertising copy in conjunction with the marketing department.
3. Writes, edits, and coordinates printing and layout of company newsletter.
4. Meets with executives to determine public relations needs.
5. Meets with media officials and the public to publicize firm's accomplishments.
6. Attends informational meetings at the main office on an as-needed basis.
7. Gives presentations at meetings and other public events.
8. Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
Education and Experience Required: Degree in art/graphic design; demonstrated ability to use computer hardware/software; some experience in television or public speaking; considerable knowledge of journalism principles, English grammar and usage; demonstrated ability to write newspaper, news, and human interest articles, reports, brochures, and advertising copy; demonstrated ability to work and communicate effectively with others.
You have been asked to develop a plan for recruiting and hiring a replacement who will telecommute from home.
1. What method of job analysis do you recommend to determine the job requirements and job specifications for a telecommuting job? Is the method you recommend different from the method you would use if the job were performed in a traditional office environment?
2. What procedures do you recommend for recruiting and hiring a telecommuter? Are the procedures you recommend different from the procedures you would use if the job were performed in a traditional office environment?
3. What changes would you make to the job description in Exhibit 2.15 to reflect the telecommuting nature of the job?
4. What other recommendations would you make in order to ensure the successful implementation of a telecommuting work arrangement?
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.