Economist: Merryville is considering subsidizing its new technology district indirectly by guaranteeing privately issued loans. This would be a mistake. If Merryville is going to subsidize the district, it should do so through direct subsidies. If it subsidizes the district, it should participate in shaping its development, and it's best able to do that through direct subsidies.
Which one of the following most accurately expresses the overall conclusion drawn in the economist's argument?
- Merryville should not subsidize its new technology district by guaranteeing privately issued loans.
- Merryville is going to subsidize its new technology district.
- Merryville should subsidize its new technology district directly.
- If Merryville subsidizes the new technology district, it should participate in shaping the district's development.
- Merryville can best participate in shaping the development of the new technology district through direct subsidies.