Response to the following multiple choice questions:
1. Which of these episodes from the Odyssey is not recreated in the Aeneid?
the land of the Phaecians
The death of a crew member
the divine armor
2. Which goddess is sent to liberate Dido of her final suffering?
3. Which of these is not a wife or lover of Aeneas?
4. Which of these is not a portent in the Aeneid?
the sow and the piglets
the golden bough of Proserpina
the eating of the tables
Ascanius' hair on fire
5. Which of these is the future site of Rome?
the city of Evander
The city of King Latinus
6. Who killed Cacus?
7. What does the Latin phase "arma virumque cano" mean?
I sing of the story of Aeneas.
I praise our emperor.
I will tell a story of war.
I sing about arms and the man.
8. What does the word "pietas" mean?
devotion to our wives.
obedience to gods, state and family.
having been driven mad.
9. What does the word "fatum" mean?
too much pride
10. What does the word "furor" mean?
true devotion to the gods.
the beginning of an epic poem.
the state of being out of one's mind.
rage in battle.
11. Who does Aeneas talk to in the Underworld, who tells him of his importance for the Trojan people's future?
12. Who was queen Dido'd murdered husband?
13. How did queen Dido'd soul react at seeing Aeneas in the Underworld?
she embraced Aeneas.
She turned away to go to her husband
began to yell at Aeneas.
talked to Aeneas for a long time.
14. Who were the founders of the city of Rome?
Ascanius and Latinus.
Aeneas and Anchises.
Julus and Aeneas
Romulus and Remus
15. Who made Aeneas' shield?
16. What was the name of Evander's son?
17. Dido is queen of what city?
18. What is the name of the fury that Juno unleashed in the Aeneid?
19. Who guides Aeneas to the Underworld?
20. Who is Lavinia's suitor?
21. At the end of the Aeneid, Aeneas ..............
founds Alba Longa
22. What books of the Aeneid resemble Homer's Odyssey?
23. Which of this figures does not belong to the Underworld in the Aeneid?
24. The Aeneid is a foundational story that shows .................
the birth of an ethnically homogenious people.
a nation that combines various ethnic groups.
an foundational story based on the destruction of one people by another.
a negative view of Rome.
25. Anchises tells Aeneas about .............. in the Underworld.
the future of Rome.
the future of Greece.
his family's past.