Homework: Evolving Role of U.S Hospitals
I. Complete the Module Readings prior to working on this homework. Document your thoughts as you read.
II. Conduct research for the following topics. You must incorporate research to support your answers from at least three scholarly resources, which you may acquire by searching the Franklin University Library databases or professional research journals.
1) The number of short-stay, nonprofit hospitals in the U.S. reached a high of almost 6,300 in the early 1970s; however, by 2006 the number declined to about 5,700. What accounts for the decline? What are some of the potential effects of the decline with regard to patient access? Does the effects make a difference? Why or why not?
2) Hospitals, once a major provider of secondary care, have lost this service to other providers. Who are some of these providers? Why has the provision of certain services shifted away from the inpatient setting?
3) Using the Barton pdf, locate the information and graphs related to the changes in inpatient services and explain the many reasons for these changes. Be specific about the numbers and figures from the charts and graphs in the Barton pdf. When citing this resource, simply cite the course material.
III. Write a 3 to 4 pages paper in which you address the items that you researched.
Format your homework according to the following formatting requirements:
(1) The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
(2) The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the homework, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
(3) Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.