Homework: Value Stream Map
Length: 3 to 5 pages.
Prompt: Using the example of a value stream map in Table 6.1 (in Chapter 6 of the course textbook), produce a value stream map of the company you selected to research for your final project. (You may focus on a specific product line or division within the company.) In similar chart form, be sure to include each of the eight types of waste and how they apply to your selected company.
Create a Flow Chart With PowerPoint Your value stream map should outline the three parts of the value stream mapping process:
1) Create a Flow Chart With SmartArt Graphics
2) You may use the textbook information and any outside sources identified in your research so far to inform your response.
The eight types of waste are as follows:
2) Inappropriate processing
8) Underutilization of employees.
For more information on how to develop a flow chart, see the following video tutorials:
1) Evaluation: Include a current-state value stream map, as exemplified by the instructions and process steps in Chapter 6 of the course textbook. This will require an evaluation of the present processes being investigated. Be sure to include all relevant processing steps, timeline elements, and transportation methods for delivery on incoming shipment of product.
2) Projection: Include a future-state value stream map, which projects how the value stream map would lay out after improvements are made.
3) Analysis and Recommendations: Include an implementation plan, as exemplified by the instructions and process steps in Chapter 6 of the course textbook. Be sure to completely analyze the current-state value stream map, identify instances of bottlenecks and waste (muda), and clearly explain the improvements that can be made to achieve a leaner process. The current-state and future-state value stream maps should be included in the document you submit.
Format your homework according to the following formatting requirements:
(1) The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
(2) The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the homework, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
(3) Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.