Have a discussion forum on the topic of diversity in a workplace against other teams in class tomorrow and I would like to prepare for it. Can you please contribute your opinion/idea/facts, etc. on the following items? Words count of at least 150 for each is fine. If you used any references, please include them too. Thank you!
1. Diversity still does not make a peaceful work environment. A study found minorities and women quit companies more often than white males, due to racial and sexual discrimination.
2. Discrimination is still a problem and many have reported that they have to watch what they say and do for fear of being seen as having a chip on their shoulders.
3. Diversity in work groups or teams can also significantly impact the work environment. Seeing diversity as strength can solidify these work groups. Much like having a work team that is composed of a number of different types of personalities (Jungian 16), different cultures or genders can also be advantageous.
4. Companies need to really consider their audience when investing money in their recruitment strategies so they are not wasting time and money recruiting in places that won't have the talent they are looking for as well as advertising in a way that is not effective to obtain the talent they need.
5. Sometimes experience requirements are a big setback for people. Lack of experience can sometimes be a benefit. Many times when someone has worked in a similar job to what they are applying for, it is difficult for them to do a "brain dump" of the information from their previous position. It may take them longer to adjust than someone who is starting fresh with a "clean slate".
6. Impact of diversity in an organization's bottom line.