Assignment: Treatment Planning and Individual Treatment
How might counseling for substance abuse issues be similar to or different from other counseling? What goes into treatment planning for substance abuse clients? In this module, you will examine the best practices in assessment, treatment planning, and individual treatment for substance abuse issues.
As part of this assignment, you will reflect on the reading material, videos, and information from the Pearson Lab - Learning Outcomes 4, 5 and 6. You should complete all of the activities associated with learning outcomes in the lab and watch the associated videos.
1. Define and understand the terminology commonly associated with the field of chemical dependency.
2. Evaluate the main differences between the various models of addiction
3. Analyze and discuss ethical issues inherent in substance abuse counseling
4. Understand the procedures and process for assessment and diagnosis of substance disorders.
5. Describe the various dynamics of relapse and prevention and be able to structure a treatment plan that incorporates these concepts.
6. Analyze and apply the main techniques, strategies, or approaches of common treatment options for substance addiction.
Read your textbook chapters and additional resources. Also, complete all of the related material in My Counseling Lab. Reflect on the following as part of this assignment (two or three pages).
• Review this Learning Resources, focusing on assessment, diagnosis, treatment planning, and individual treatment.
• Review the case of Milo from MyCounselingLab
• Think about the treatment plan you would develop for the case study.
• Consider the legal and ethical issues that may pertain to treatment planning and treatment in this particular case.
• Consider the main techniques and strategies you would use with Milo.
• Consider the level of treatment necessary
• Think about the model of addiction that you follow and how that would apply to this case
Support your Application assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation.
The assignment: (2 to 3 pages)
• Discuss the assessment process you would use for Milo.
• Develop a treatment plan for Milo that includes the following information:
o Current symptoms or indicators
o Goals (long-term and short-term)
o Objectives/outcome criteria
• Describe any ethical and legal considerations that should be taken into account regarding treatment planning and treatment in this case.
• Discuss techniques you would use to work with Milo and research that supports those techniques.