Each learning team will identify a chronic disease to adopt throughout the duration of the course. Remember a chronic disease can be from one of the major disease categories such as heart disease, respiratory (asthma, smoking), endocrine (diabetic), liver hepatitis, or STD's. During Week Three, the teams will present a paper (See Adopt a Disease Paper located in Week Three Materials section). As Directors of a major national public health group (FDA, DHHS, CDC, etc) you are to develop a new approach to increase public awareness in a selected community regarding your disease. The community may include current places of employment, health care service area, hospital, nursing home, church, school, etc. When selecting a disease, decide which public health problem is most pressing for this particular community. Once the disease is selected, include:
- Information about the disease (history, causes, treatment options if any, etc)
- Possible solutions for reducing the disease in a selected community
- Data regarding the number of people affected by the disease
- Economic impact on the community
- Resources such as Internet sites, books, articles or other related materials to increase the community's awareness
The final product for this presentation is a PowerPoint presentation with 12-15 slides and detailed speaker notes. Utilize a minimum of two research sources, with one from UOP Library and the other from rEsource to support your claims.