Homework: Politics & Society in the Middle East
For this homework you are to pick a piece of art or media that contains depictions of the Middle East. Through a close read/viewing of your chosen work, you are to critique how the region is being represented. In your writing should provide:
1) Start with a description of Orientalism. What is it and how is it defined by Said? (Think back to when you watched On Orientalism by Edward Said. )
2) A description of the work. Be descriptive, but focus on what makes the work orientalist!
3) In what ways does the MENA get represented in the work?
4) Does the work claim any authority about the region?
5) Does the work present any tropes about the region reproduced from other sources?
6) How is Said's critique applicable to critiquing the work you have chosen?
Format your homework according to the following formatting requirements:
(1) The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
(2) The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the homework, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
(3) Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.