Assignment: Demonstrating your Understanding
Throughout this course you learned about the various aspects of substance abuse counseling including common terms, pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics, assessment, diagnosis, treatment modalities, and cultural implications. Your final project will help you to synthesize all of your learning and allow you to demonstrate your knowledge.
1. Describe the major effects of depressants, stimulants, cannabinoids, hallucinogens, opioids, and inhalants on the human brain and biological and physiological processes of the body.
2. Understand the procedures and process for assessment and diagnosis of substance disorders.
3. Analyze and apply the diagnostic criterion and distinguishing features between substance dependence and substance abuse.
4. Analyze and discuss the major medical issues and diseases that are either caused by or exacerbated by substance addiction
5. Describe the genetic, biological, environmental, social, psychological, and philosophical influences of addiction.
6. Understand the special needs and treatment recommendations for individuals with dual diagnoses and/or polysubstance abuse.
7. Analyze and apply the main techniques, strategies, or approaches of common treatment options for substance addiction.
8. Explain the typical risk and protective factors that impact different populations, including, but not limited to, children; adolescents; adults; the elderly; women; men; lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered (LGBT) people; people with disabilities; and different ethnic groups.
9. Describe the various dynamics of relapse and prevention and be able to structure a treatment plan that incorporates these concepts.
10. Analyze and discuss ethical issues inherent in substance abuse counseling
For your Final Project, you will apply the information you have learned in this course to critically analyze a specific case study from the Co-occurring Disorders Treatment Workbook (The Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute, 2002) and develop an assessment and intervention plan based on it. Your Final Project must include rationale based on learning resources and scholarly material. All work should be supported with scholarly references from the professional literature contained within the Lamar University Library.
Your Final Project should include all of the following sections:
1. Overview of the Case Study (2 paragraphs)
2. A description of procedures and process you would use for assessment and diagnosis in the selected case study. Be sure to include rationale for your selections (bullet points with rationale)
3. Include an analysis of the pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of the substances used in the case study (provide a chart that summarizes the information).
4. Develop a diagnosis based on the DSM-5. Include a rationale that distinguishes features between substance dependence and substance abuse (2 paragraphs).
5. Analyze and discuss how the mental health issues in the case study are either caused by or exacerbated by substance addiction.
6. Discuss the genetic, biological, environmental, social, psychological, and/or philosophical elements that might impact the case.
7. Discuss the special needs and treatment recommendations related to dual diagnosis.
8. Analyze and apply the main techniques, strategies, or approaches of common treatment options for the case study selected (include a chart with short rationale).
9. Explain the typical risk and protective factors that impact the individual in the case study .
10. Describe the efforts you would include toward relapse and prevention and structure a treatment plan (chart) that incorporates these concepts.
11. Analyze and discuss any ethical or legal issues inherent in this case.
12. Grammar and APA style.
The Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute (2002). Co-occurring disorders treatment workbook.