Response to the following:
1. Short Answer Questions
Answer all five (5) of the Short Answer Questions. Each question should be answered in a short paragraph of anywhere between 100 to 200 words in length.
1. What justification did Iraq give for its invasion and occupation of Kuwait in August 1990? Include in your answer a brief explanation of the historical developments that gave rise to the Iraqi viewpoint and some of the prime reasons for their invasion.
2. What issues do Islamic revivalists face concerning the role of Islamic law (sharia) in modern society?
3. What two parallel systems of education exist in contemporary Muslim society, what kind of education do they provide, and how adaptable are they to modernization?
4. Was Operation Desert Storm an allied victory? Qualify your answer and support it with information contained in your readings.
5. Summarize the role of the ulama in contemporary Islamic society. What is their relationship to modernization?
2. Essay Questions
Choose any two (2) of the Essay Questions to answer. (Note: While you only need to hand in two of the Essay Questions for your activity you should review all of them because any of them, even the ones you do not choose, may appear on your examination.)
Your answers to the Essay Questions should be between 500 to 700 words for each question.
1. Compare and contrast the 1967 War (between Israel and Egypt, Jordan, and Syria) and the October, or Yom Kippur, War in 1973 (between Israel and Egypt.) What were the causes of each and what were their outcomes and consequences?
2. Discuss the fundamental importance of tradition in Islam, comparing and contrasting how it is viewed by traditionalists and modern reformers.
3. Define intifadah and explain how this became a movement in recent Middle Eastern history. Include in your answer a summary of how it has influenced both regional and international developments since its inception to the present day.
4. Discuss the changes that have taken place in the lives of Muslim women over the course of the last century. What has influenced these changes, what are the different interpretations of a woman's role in Islamic society, and what does "liberation" mean in Western and Islamic terms?
5. Discuss the White Revolution in Iran. Why did it occur, what did it achieve, and how is it related to the Iranian Revolution of 1979?