The readings and activities this week were about the creation myths of various cultures. In one activity you discussed similarities and differences of the myths. Now it is time to write about two creation myths you learned about this week.
Select at least two creation myths from two different cultures. For ideas, refer to this week's readings and the myths section of the Big Myths website for animated presentations of many creation myths.
Complete the Creation Myths Template
Creation Myths Template
Complete Parts 1-4 below.
Part 1: Creation Myths Details
Select two creation myths from two separate cultures.
Complete the chart below with details about your selected myths.
Name of Creation Myth
Culture Associated with Myth
Creation of World or Worlds
• Which world or worlds, such as sky, earth, and underworld, are represented in this myth?
• What are the elements of these worlds?
• What are the steps or cycles involved in creation?
• Are the creators male or female?
• What is the significance of the gender(s) represented in the myth?
Destroyers or Destruction
• What types of destroyers or destruction are included (if applicable)?
• What types of occurrences or natural phenomena like stars, moons, floods, rain, etc. are included in this myth?
Part 2: Comparison of Two Myths
Complete the chart below to compare the two myths you selected. You may add additional rows as needed.
What elements and themes do the myths have in common? How are the myths different?
Part 3: Reflection
Write a 150-word response to each of the following questions:
1. Why is there such a focus on cosmic occurrences or natural phenomena like stars, moons, floods, andrain, in many creation myths?
2. Why do you think cosmic or creation myths are important to a culture? How do they shape a culture's view of the world?
Part 4: References
List any sources you used to complete this assignment in APA format.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.