Assignment: Analyzing Stereotypes
Culture is a small word that carries a lot of meaning. Unfortunately, the word is often conflated with other terms and misused. Most often, the terms culture, race, and ethnicity are used interchangeably although they are actually three distinct concepts that have some overlap. In this unit, you will learn about the differences among race, ethnicity, and culture.
In the units to come, you will be reviewing various isms, including sexism, heterosexism, anti-Semitism, and racism. However, before delving into those specific concepts, you will review the overarching "social phenomena that fuel them" (Carter, 2015, p. 28). Your text indicates that bias, prejudice, discrimination, and stereotypes maintain the presence of isms in our social environment. In this discussion, you will discuss stereotypes and how they affect people. You will also create a research proposal aimed at studying stereotypes.
For this discussion:
• Identify two stereotypes, each related to a different cultural group within Hays's ADDRESSING Model. For example, you may identify a gender-based stereotype and a stereotype based on a different culture.
• Compare and contrast the stereotypes and their effects on the subjects of the stereotypes.
Next, describe a design for a research study related to your specialization that investigates stereotypes. You may investigate anything related to stereotypes, such as the emotional impact of stereotyping on Asian Americans.
• Explain, briefly, what your research study plans to investigate and why it is important.
o What ethical standards apply to your research?
o How will you recruit participants?
o What types of research biases will you want to avoid in your study?
Your initial discussion post should be at least 200 words.
Carter, L. D. (2015). Reflecting humanity: Biological, psychological, and sociological perspectives (2nd ed.). Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also Include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.