In my paper I will be discussing about the natural disaster that occurred in Northern America, the Northridge earthquake. This unexpected disaster occurred in the morning of January 17, 1994 where the citizens where rudely awaken by the shaking of their floors.
The Northridge earthquake was the cause of the destruction of the city, however, it was also actively involved in building a stronger
reconstruction and a safer community. At the moment of the earthquake, it was considered a true disaster and people from different class groups were affected in different ways and extends, but as for today that disaster is considered an advantage were buildings, bridges, streets and safety regulations are strongly enforced. I will be discussing the causes of the earthquake using different author's perspectives and relating them to the authors we discussed about in class. Also response that occurred in reaction to this disaster from citizens with different powers levels in that city.
• Questions to be asked:
1. What would be the reaction to this type of disaster in another area in California?
2. Was the response to the earthquake handled in relation to the people's demand or government's demand?
3. What class of citizens where more effected in this natural disaster and why?
4. What is the real cause behind this disaster and what do humans claim it to be?
5. Are the causes and responses stated for this earthquake parallel to what Mike Davis stated when talking about this disaster?
6. How would Hewitt describe this natural disaster?
7. How does the 1994 earthquake affect us today scientifically and socially? Explain using the perspectives of some of the authors
discussed in class.
These are some questions I would like to answer in my paper using all the sources listed bellow, in addition to the reading assigned in class, excluding any personal bias opinions.