Use the Capella library and the Internet to find an article related to the issue of privacy in the workplace. Look for a case that is specifically related to human resources. Try to find the most recent instance of such a case.
Then, write a 2 to 3 pages article review in which you discuss the following:
1) Identify the legal impact of the information in your chosen article related to privacy in the workplace.
2) Describe how companies can act in accordance with the privacy laws addressed in your article.
3) Describe how companies can recover from violations related to the privacy laws addressed in your article.
4) Provide a rationale to support your point of view.
Questions To Consider
To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of the business community.
1) Use of illegal substances in the workplace results in significant cost to employers due to lost productivity, absences from work, and workplace accidents. In your opinion, what is the most effective approach for employers to take to try and eliminate illegal drugs from the workplace? Are pre-employment and random drug testing good deterrents? Are there privacy issues that you feel might exist with these practices?
2) Have you ever encountered a case of wrongful termination, and if so, what was your reaction?
From an HR perspective, the topic of privacy in the workplace is often related to pre-employment background checks and the use of technology. During the pre-employment period, privacy can become a concern because employers investigate criminal records, check credit reports, contact former employers, et cetera. Once employed, an individual's use of company technology-and what is permissible and what is private-can also be concerns.
These topics are very important for HR practitioners and all members of management to understand, because privacy violations can be very costly to an organization and can result in negative press as well.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
1) Competency 1: Analyze trends and changes in the laws on diversity, gender, and harassment.
a. Discuss personal opinion on privacy in the workplace considerations.
2) Competency 2: Apply the laws and safety issues in the workplace.
a. Identify the legal impact of the information.
b. Describe how companies can act in accordance with the privacy laws.
3) Competency 3: Create strategies for recovery from exposure to liabilities.
a. Describe how companies can recover from violations related to the privacy laws.
4) Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for members of the human resource profession.
a. Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for members of the human resource profession.
Format your homework according to the give formatting requirements:
1. The answer must be double spaced, typed, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the homework, the course title, the student's name, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The references and Citations should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.