Assignment: Art History
In this paper, we are asking you to expand a visual analysis to 3-4 pages and incorporate other sources into your argument.
While this is not a research paper, we expect you to build on your observation and argument skills and use assigned readings and materials available in the galleries to reinforce your analysis. Please read the prompts carefully to see which additional sources you should consult for each topic. Any information from readings, museums, galleries, or artists should be cited and formatted according to the Chicago Manual of Style.
General advice: Look closely at your chosen work of art. Take nothing for granted. Pay attention to details, composition, representation of light and space, materials, and scale, implied position of the viewer, or implied use by the viewer.
· How the parts or aspects of your artwork all come together to create a whole
· The relationship between style, materials, and subject matter
· The individuality of authorship, if relevant
· The context of patronage or display, if relevant
A reminder that two guides to writing about art have been posted for you. One is time-tested, but mostly about painting; it was written by the (legendary) Barnard professor our classroom is named for. The other is more contemporary and deals with a variety of media.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.