Assignment: Emotional Responses
At present, there is no agreed upon overall theory of emotion. Several theories compete and each has a different perspective on the relative roles of physiological, cognitive and behavioral factors. In this activity, we will compare and contrast the different theories.
As you create your discussion post, consider the following:
• How would each of the theories discussed in the readings explain the situation?
• On what would they agree or disagree?
• How do gender and culture affect the reaction in the situation?
Complete the following:
Jim and Janice are hiking in the woods and come across a baby bear. Neither is very knowledgeable about nature and they foolishly stop to photograph the cub. The mother bear perceives this as a threat to the cub and charges at the couple.
Choose either Jim or Janice and respond to the following in a two to three paragraph cohesive response. Please do not simply answer the questions separately.
What emotion does the chosen individual feel? Is it a basic emotion or is it learned? Does gender or culture make a difference in the reaction? Describe the likely physiological, cognitive and behavioral responses to that emotion.
Choose one of the theories of emotion discussed in the readings (preferably one that has not been discussed by others as of yet). Explain step-by-step how that theory would apply to this situation.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.