Policemen of the World Thesis and Outline
By the mid-20th century, the United States had become the dominant force in international relations. Some have argued that the United States' military functions as the world's "police." This assignment covers the manner in which this shift occurred and the consequences the United States faces as a result of its status as "policemen of the world." Using the Internet and reputable news sources, research two (2) real-life international incidents from the past five (5) years in which:
• The U.S. used military action abroad.
• Controversy existed within the American public regarding U.S. involvement.
• Controversy existed within the country or countries affected by U.S. involvement.
1. Create a thesis statement that is one to two (1-2) sentences long in which you:
a. State your thesis on the significance of the current role of the US military, as exemplified in the two (2) real-life international incidents that you have researched. Justif
For the first part of this assignment you will create a thesis statement. A thesis statement is usually a single sentence somewhere in your first paragraph that presents your main idea to the reader. The body of the essay organizes the material you gather and present in support of your main idea.
Create an outline of the main points you want to address in this paper.
2. Create a one to two (1-2) page outline in which you:
a. Describe the two (2) international events involving the US military from the past five (5) years you investigated that can be traced back to a foreign policy created after the Civil War.
b. List three (3) aspects of US history since 1865 that have led to the US's rise as a world super power policeman.
c. List three to five (3-5) international incidents since World War II where America has taken on a policing role.
d. List three to five (3-5) driving forces that fueled international policy decisions involving the international incidents you outlined previously. (Consider treaties, exit strategies, elections, wars, etc.)
e. Use at least three (3) academic references besides or in addition to the textbook. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment should follow these formatting requirements:
• Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references should follow APA or school-specific format.
• Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the professor's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are excluded in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes are:
• Identify and discuss the different ways that the Civil War, Reconstruction, and Industrialization after the Civil War have shaped America's history.
• Summarize and discuss the ways that formal policies of government have influenced the direction of historical and social development in the United States.
• Recognize the major turning points in American history since the Civil War.
• Use technology and information resources to research issues in contemporary U.S. history.
• Write clearly and concisely about contemporary U.S. history using proper writing mechanics.