Anemophily (Wind pollination):
(Gk, anemos = wind and philein = to love)
This is a mode of pollination or transfer of pollengrains from anther to stigma via the agency of wind. The flowers that are wind pollinated are termed as anemophilous. Anemophilous flowers are characterized by the given adaptations:
(1) Flowers are small, colorless, odorless, inconspicuous, and nectarless.
(2) Corolla and Calyx are either reduced or not present. Anthers are generally versatile.
(3) Whenever flowers are unisexual, the male flowers are more plentiful than female flowers. In bisexual flowers, the stamens are usually many.
(4) Pollen grains are light, small, dry, dusty and at times winged (or saccate); therefore they are simply blown away to long distances (that is, up to 1300 km).
(5) The pollen grains of anemophilous flowers are generated in enormous quantities. For illustration, a single flower of Cannabis generates, 5,00,000 pollengrains.
(6) The flowers are well represented in the air. In some plants, they are generated over the foliage before the appearance of latest leaves.
(7) The stigmas are big, well-exposed, hairy, and feathery or branched to catch the air-borne pollen grains.
(8) In certain plants, (example, Urtica), the anthers burst abruptly to throw the pollen grains into the air (that is, gun-powder method)
The general illustrations of wind pollinated flowers are: sugarcane, grasses, bamboo, coconut, palm, date palm, cannabis, maize and so on.
Latest technology based Biology Online Tutoring Assistance
Tutors, at the www.tutorsglobe.com, take pledge to provide full satisfaction and assurance in Pollination homework help via online tutoring. Students are getting 100% satisfaction by online tutors across the globe. Here you can get homework help for Pollination, project ideas and tutorials. We provide email based Pollination homework help. You can join us to ask queries 24x7 with live, experienced and qualified online tutors specialized in Pollination. Through Online Tutoring, you would be able to complete your homework or assignments at your home. Tutors at the TutorsGlobe are committed to provide the best quality online tutoring assistance for Biology homework help and assignment help services. They use their experience, as they have solved thousands of the Biology assignments, which may help you to solve your complex issues of Pollination. TutorsGlobe assure for the best quality compliance to your homework. Compromise with quality is not in our dictionary. If we feel that we are not able to provide the homework help as per the deadline or given instruction by the student, we refund the money of the student without any delay.
Start Excelling in your courses, Ask an Expert and get answers for your homework and assignments!!