1. What is the "greatest happiness principle"?
2. How can one determine which of two pleasures has the higher ?quality?
3. Why are the following assertions about utilitarianism false?
a. "Utilitarianism is a selfish doctrine."
b. "Utilitarianism sets too high a standard by requiring that our ?motive always be the greatest happiness of society."
c. "Utilitarianism is a godless doctrine."
d. "A utilitarian has insufficient time to calculate the effects of ?proposed actions on the general happiness."
4. Why is the general happiness desirable?
5. How is it possible to desire things other than happiness (virtue, for example) in themselves, when happiness is the only thing desirable in itself?