Assignment: Software Developer Development and Improvement
This assignment consists of two (2) sections: an improvement plan and a PowerPoint presentation.
Section 1: Improvement Plan
Suppose you are working as a senior software development manager in a software house. The company develops custom software for clients. In one of the development projects, a postmortem analysis reveals that a particular developer out of a team of five (5) was responsible for the major failure of the developed software product. This has caused the project to run 20% behind schedule and exceed its monetary budget by 30%. Initial estimates point to an additional twelve (12) weeks from the original 36-week effort to correct the failures. You have been asked by your supervisor to create an improvement plan to address these issues using the People Capability Maturity Model (P-CMM).
Write a five to six (5-6) page paper in which you:
- Evaluate the key practices and improvement activities from the people capability maturity model and recommend the practices you would use to address the software failure.
- Describe an appropriate strategy for implementing the recommended improvement activities that you have identified.
- Explain how to measure the return on the company investment after applying the key practices and improvement activities.
- Use at least two (2) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Section 2: PowerPoint Presentation
You have also been asked to develop a presentation to be shown to your CEO to explain why you have chosen to implement the specific strategy outlined in your improvement plan.Prepare a seven to ten (7-10) slide PowerPoint presentation in which you:
- Summarize the main points in the improvement plan.
- Create bulleted speaking notes for the presentation to the executive board in the Notes section of the PowerPoint. Note: You may create or assume any fictitious names, data, or scenarios that have not been established in this assignment for a realistic flow of communication.
- Use a professional technically written style to graphically convey the information.