Assignment: Pharmacodynamics and Pharmacokinetics
As a clinical mental health counselor, it is important to understand the biological processes related to mental health issues. Understanding the relationship between biology and substance abuse or addiction is critical. This assignment will help you to clarify your understanding of pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics.
As part of this assignment, you will reflect on the reading material, videos, and information from the Pearson Lab - Learning Outcomes 2 and 3. You should complete all of the activities associated with learning outcomes in the lab and watch the associated videos.
1. Define and understand the terminology commonly associated with the field of chemical dependency.
2. Describe the major effects of depressants, stimulants, cannabinoids, hallucinogens, opioids, and inhalants on the human brain and biological and physiological processes of the body.
3. Describe the genetic, biological, environmental, social, psychological, and philosophical influences of addiction.
Read your textbook chapters and additional resources. Also, complete all of the related material in MyCounselingLab. Reflect on the following as part of this assignment (two or three pages).
1. Discuss the pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of opioids (2-3 paragraphs). Be sure to identify neurotransmitters, specific sites in the brain that play a role with opioids, and information related to how the drug is metabolized.
2. Review the physiological and psychological process related to withdrawal from opioids. Symptoms and processes vary based on individual differences, the class of substance used, the amount of substance taken, and the length of time over which the substance was taken. Compare and contrast withdrawal from opioids from withdrawal from alcohol (2 paragraphs)
3. Seriousness of symptoms may require a different level of care. Counselors need to know about these complications and the appropriate treatment recommendations for clients who are at risk. Discuss the considerations for treatment level related to opioid abuse/dependence. What symptoms might be present? What might be of medical concern? (1-2 paragraphs).
4. Discuss how you might explain to a client the physiology of tolerance. (2 paragraphs). Provide any necessary graphs or charts you might use.
Support your Application assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation.
Assignment should be 2 to 3 pages.