Desktop Migration Proposal
You have been hired as system administrator for HACKM, LLC. Your first task involves in upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8.
Currently, HACKM, LLC has around 500 desktops/laptops that run Windows 7. Your manager has also been getting many requests for tablet computers as well.
In addition to the migration to Windows 8, HACKM, LLC also wants to utilize Windows 8 as efficiently as possible.
Current Desktop/Laptop Configuration for Windows 7:
Processor: Intel Core i3 Second Generation
Memory: 4GB RAM
Hard Drive: 350GB
Network Card: 10/100/1000 Mbps
USB Ports: 4 USB 2.0
Monitor: 21 inch LCD
There are specific requirements for this assignment:
The final submission should contain at least 7 to 10 pages' worth of text written by the student (not counting title page, images, diagrams, tables, or quotations that may be used), but may be longer, not to exceed approximately 10 pages' worth of student-supplied text. It must be double-spaced, have 1-inch margins, and use 12-point Times New Roman or 10-point Arial/Helvetica font. A title page is required.
You must turn this assignment to both the assignment area within our LEO classroom as well as to the TurnItIn website. Failure to do so may result in point deductions. Follow the TurnItIn instructions provided within the class.
You should provide research and justification for the following:
· New hardware for Windows 8.
· Migration from Windows 7 to Windows 8 while minimizing the downtime for end users.
· Research and recommend an appropriate tablet that end- users can utilize.
· Will users link a Microsoft account to Windows 8? Why/why not?
· How will Group Policy be used to control access to applications?
· How will storage be managed? (Storage pools/spaces, storage devices, etc.)
· What about offline files?
· Networking: Will there be wireless mobility? What IPv4 and IPv6 settings will be implemented?
· Will folders be shared on the local network or will SkyDrive be available?
· System Protection: How will system protection be handled with backups, system images, etc?.
· What type of security will be implemented for encryption and hardening the workstation against threats.
· Monitoring the workstation.
· Virtualization features.