The Discussion Board (DB) is part of the core of online learning. Classroom discussion in an online environment requires the active participation of students and the instructor to create robust interaction and dialogue. Every student is expected to create an original response to the open-ended DB question as well as engage in dialogue by responding to posts created by others throughout the week. At the end of each unit, DB participation will be assessed based on both level of engagement and the quality of the contribution to the discussion.
At a minimum, each student will be expected to post an original and thoughtful response to the DB question and contribute to the weekly dialogue by responding to at least two other posts from students. The first contribution must be posted before midnight (Central Time) on Wednesday of each week. Two additional responses are required after Wednesday of each week. Students are highly encouraged to engage on the Discussion Board early and often, as that is the primary way the university tracks class attendance and participation.
The purpose of the Discussion Board is to allow students to learn through sharing ideas and experiences as they relate to course content and the DB question. Because it is not possible to engage in two-way dialogue after a conversation has ended, no posts to the DB will be accepted after the end of each unit.
For this Discussion Board assignment, you will write a definition essay post on the term motivation. In this essay post, you will define what it means to you to be motivated as a college student in a writing course. In your essay post, include challenges that you are facing with college level writing and the role that motivation will play in your success of this course. Explain what it will take for you to be motivated to develop writing skills, complete required assignments on time, incorporate instructor feedback, and transfer learning into your future courses and professional life. Your definition essay post should contain facts, examples, and anecdotes.
At a minimum, your essay post should address the following with an introduction, a thesis statement, body paragraphs, and a conclusion:
1. Include fully developed paragraphs with topic sentences.
2. Define motivation using examples and anecdotes (stories).
3. Provide a critical analysis of your writing capabilities.
4. Identify future writing skill needs and your motivation to improve deficiencies.
5. Discuss importance of completing all assignments on time and incorporating instructor feedback.
6. Discuss importance of transferring writing skills mastered in this course in your future courses and career requirements.
7. Share what you want to achieve in the course to become a successful writer.