Assignment: Us History Essay
Write a paper about what i have learned about the "slave south". below are some external links to correlate with it.
-use specific case studies/topics that were of most interest to you, or those events that led you to reexamine your own world view
-answer atleast 3 of these questions:
• Has your perspective toward one particular topic, event or era in American history as we have studied it changed at all? If so, in what way has it changed? Rely on specific examples to support your position.
• In your opinion, what are some of the most significant changes that occurred in the United States since the point of settlement through the era of American Civil War? Are there still unresolved conflicts similar to those that existed from 1600 - 1865? And, if so, what are they? Use specific examples from the course topics to support your response.
• Based on the information covered in this course, how do you see the place (i.e. the historical significance) of the United States in respect to the larger international system? In what ways is the place of the contemporary U.S. different than the United States of the 19th century (think of social, political, economic transitions for example)? How is it similar? Offer evidence to support your opinion.
• At the conclusion of this course, how do you see yourself as a student of United States history? Do you feel differently about the history of the United States than when you began the course and, if so, in what ways? Be as specific as possible in your explanation.
As the authors of the textbook point out, "By the early nineteenth century, northern states had either abolished slavery or put it on the road to extinction, while southern states were building the largest slave society in the New World...By 1860, one-third of the South's population was enslaved." Herein lies the foundation of the bitter political dispute that would ignite the American Civil War in 1861 - that being slavery. Consider the supplemental materials provided as well as some of the "timely" conversations that are included pertaining to the topic of slavery and historical memory in this country, today.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.