The group paper will center on a case study related to business communications. These case studies are identified below. Purposes of Project The learning objectives of this project are to:
• Apply the writing skills learned in class
• Build skills in analyzing real-world issues as they relate to business communications
• Build experience working with a small team to complete a joint deliverable by a deadline
• Hone skills in planning, composing and revising an informal report summarizing your analysis.
• Refine your ability to extract relevant information from among numerous details.
Approach Approach your analysis from the perspective of a third-party communications consultant who is advising a client regarding what lessons can be learned from the event(s) described and what, if any, actions you would recommend to your client as a result of lessons learned.
Remember: you are a consultant focusing on the effectiveness of communications and making recommendations on how to improve communications in the future. Do not focus your presentation on operational or other issues that are beyond the scope of this class. Also, be mindful of your paper's tone, to ensure that it is both professional and respectful. If you have any questions in these areas, please see me to discuss your approach prior to beginning your project.Research Read the assigned case study thoroughly.
Much of the information in the case study might be useful as background or contextual information only. It is up to you to determine what information is relevant to your analysis of the communications effectiveness of the company. You might need to conduct some research in addition to what is presented in your case study. This might include reviews of the company's website, other news sources, or independent blogs.
Analysis In your analysis, consider the following questions, among others:
• What groups or audiences are being communicated to - whether intentionally or not?
• What messages are they receiving?
• Through what channels are these messages being delivered?
• Are these messages furthering the presumed goals of the communicator - or are they hurting them?
• What have they done well in communicating? What could they have done better?
• What recommendations do you have for your client as a result of the learnings from this event? (Again, focus on communications recommendations only).
1) Group contract. Your group will agree on group norms, and will commit to these norms in a formal written "group contract". An example can be found on Blackboard. This contract is to be turned in on the date indicated below.
2) Problem Statement and Statement of Purpose. Explanations and examples can be found in section 9-3a of the text. Turn in on date indicated on schedule below.
3) As a group, you will submit, via hard-copy, a minimum 1500-word, single-spaced, informal analytical report in a letter format. The business writing best practices described in chapter nine and throughout the textbook should be employed in crafting a clear, concise and impactful document.
Your role will be as a communications consultant and the report will be directed to your client company. It should include:
• A brief recap of the relevant facts.
• Your analysis of the effectiveness of the communications in furthering the goals of the affected organization.
• What lessons can be learned.
• Your recommendations to your client.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.