Assignment: MANAGERIAL FINANCE DECISION MAKING
1. What is a firm's intrinsic value? Its current stock price? Is the stock's "true" long-run value more closely related to its intrinsic value or to its current price?
2. What are the various forms of business organization? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
3. FINANCIAL MARKETS AND INSTITUTIONS Assume that you recently graduated with a degree in finance and have just reported to work as an investment adviser at the brokerage firm of Smyth Barry & Co. Your first assignment is to explain the nature of the U.S. financial markets to Michelle Varga, a professional tennis player who recently came to the United States from Mexico. Varga is a highly ranked tennis player who expects to invest substantial amounts of money through Smyth Barry. She is very bright; therefore, she would like to understand in general terms what will happen to her money. Your boss has developed the following questions that you must use to explain the U.S. financial system to Varga.
a. What are the three primary ways in which capital is transferred between savers and borrowers? Describe each one.
b. What are the two leading stock markets? Describe the two basic types of stock markets.
c. If Apple Computer decided to issue additional common stock, and Varga purchased 100 shares of this stock from Smyth Barry, the underwriter, would this transaction be a primary or a secondary market transaction? Would it make a difference if Varga purchased previously outstanding Apple stock in the dealer market? Explain.
d. What is an initial public offering (IPO)?
e. What does it mean for a market to be efficient? Explain why some stock prices may be more efficient than others.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.