Career of Choice: Emergency Room Physician's Assistant
Step 1: Finding the interviewee
1. Call the psych department and ask for the contact information of a person in your specific field. There are career advisors in the main office that might be able to direct you.
Step 2: Asking the right questions
Remember when you're conducting your interview to be as polite and respectful as possible. The person you're interviewing is donating their time and knowledge to you, and you should be sure to thank them for doing so.
- What made you choose this career path?
- What advice do you have for those hoping to enter this career path?
- What were some obstacles you faced upon graduating from college?
- Does your career require graduate school? What programs would be acceptable?
- Is there anything you wish you would have done differently?
- Is it difficult to find a job in this area?
- What is a typical work week like?
Etcetera, depending on the field and what you're interested in.
- What is your salary?
- Can you get me a job?
- Anything else that's rude or invasive!
Step 3: Writing the paper
Your paper should be about 3 pages in length and follow standard APA formatting. I will not be grading for formatting in general, but if your paper is illegible and full of grammar errors you will receive some sort of penalty. In the paper you should go over
· The questions that you asked, the interviewee's answers, and your reaction/reflection to/upon these answers.
· How your view of the career you chose has changed upon completing the interview: did it reinforce your desires to attain this career, or deter you from pursuing it? How?
· A list of things that you will need to do to realistically attain this career (or the new career you're interested in, if you've decided this one isn't for you).
· The contact information for your interviewee, including name, job title & company, level of education completed, and a phone number or email address where they can be contacted at.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.