It is important to consider factors influencing physical, cognitive, and socioemotional development long before the baby arrives. In this discussion, you will examine the relative roles of genetics and the environment. Environmental effects on development include both macrocultural and microcultural influences. Macrocultural influences are the broader influences on a child's development, such as mass media, religious denomination, societal rules, or educational norms. Microcultural influences are those on a small scale, such as family eating habits, traditions, hierarchical structures, and routines.
Based on the principles of behaviorism, John B. Watson argued, tongue-in-cheek, that he could take a healthy baby and make him into a lawyer, doctor, or thief. Sandra Scarr argued that often a child's genetic predispositions override the influence of the environment.
Based on what you have learned so far about development, select a well-known movie that addresses the nature-versus-nurture question. Some examples are: The Blind Side, Rudy, and A Beautiful Mind. You are not limited to these choices. With reference to the film, in the Discussion Area, respond to the following:
• How influential is the role of genetics in the child's development?
• What about the role of the environment, temperament, and teratogenics, among others?
• Explain Watson's and Scarr's perspectives, according to what you have learned in your book. What would each say about the character(s) in the movie?
• Given what you have learned this week, do you agree with Watson, Scarr, both, or neither?
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also Include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.