In each of the following sentences:
Underline the subject once and label S.
Underline the verb or verb phrase twice and label either LV or AV.
Label the appositives AP, Direct Objects DO, Indirect Objects IO or Predicate Nominatives PN.
S AP AV DO
Example: Jane, a swimmer, swam the race.
1. Thomas- Edison, a brilliant scientist, invented the light bulb.
2. The ivory-billed woodpecker, an extremely rare bird, was recently sighted
3. My uncle, an engineer for NASA, helped to design the space shuttle.,
4. The first successful reflecting telescope was built by Isaac Newton, one of the most influential scientists in history.
5. Andrew, the best player on our team, was injured the day before the game.
6. Yesterday was the summer solstice, the longest day of the year.
7. I told Lisa, the office secretary, that I would be late.
8. My mother baked an apple pie, my favorite dessert.
9. Jared became frustrated with Scott, the slowest of the group.
10. The vehicle, a black van, sped past the stop sign without stopping.