Assignment: Research Exercise
Out of 200 applicants, you have been selected to work as the manager in the research department for a special task force with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Review the CDC website. Your first assignment on this special task force is to focus on Opioid Overdose. The CDC reports that from 1999 to 2015, more than 183,000 people died in the U.S. from overdose related to prescription opioids.
The CDC has been researching the impact of opioid overdose to protect the public's health and prevent opioid overdose deaths using surveillance and research. You will focus on two primary areas: 1) opioid prescribing guidelines for physicians, and 2) ways hospitals can create prescription drug monitoring as a part of their Quality Management Department.
Locate a peer-reviewed journal article related to quality in healthcare.
1. Analyze how this article can be used in the Quality Management (QM) Department.
2. Determine how your article can be used by hospitals to monitor prescription drug programs.
3. Write a 150-word summary of your article and determine how it can be used in the QM. The summary should follow the SESC formula: State, Explain, Support and Conclude.
4. Utilizing SWS format, write a reference at the bottom of your summary. The citation must follow SWS format. Note:Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as quality resources.
5. This course requires use of new Student Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also Include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
• Analyze the critical management issues, purpose, functions, and performance measures of different departments within healthcare organizations.
• Use technology and information resources to research issues in health services organization management.
• Write clearly and concisely about health services organization management using proper writing mechanics.