Projects net present value if company chooses to drill


The Karns Oil company is deciding whether to drill for oil on a tract of land that the company owns. The company estimates that the project would cost $8million today. Karns estimates that once drilled, the oil will generate positive net cash flows of $4million a year at the end of each of the next four years. While the company is fairly confident about its cash flow forecast, it recognizes that if it waits 2 years, it would have more information about the local geology as well as the price of oil. Moreover, if it waits 2 years, there is a 90 percent chance that the net cash flows would by $4.2 million a year for 4 years, and there is a 10 percent chance that that the cash flows will be $2.2 million a year for 4 years. Assume that all cash flows are discounted at 10 percent.

1) If the company chooses to drill today, what is the project's net present value?

2) Using decision tree analysis, would it make more sense to wait 2 years before deciding whether to drill?

Solution Preview :

Prepared by a verified Expert
Finance Basics: Projects net present value if company chooses to drill
Reference No:- TGS02051779

Now Priced at $20 (50% Discount)

Recommended (97%)

Rated (4.9/5)

2015 ┬ęTutorsGlobe All rights reserved. TutorsGlobe Rated 4.8/5 based on 34139 reviews.