Girl with a Pearl Earring is a 2003 dramatic biography based on the book by Tracy Chavalier, directed by Peter Webber and starring Scarlett Johansson, Colin Firth, and Tom Wilkinson in a film about young peasant maid working in the house of painter Johannes Vermeer becomes his talented assistant and the model for one of his most famous works. (100 minutes).
1. Watch Girl with a Pearl Earring. (Links to an external site.)
2. Read the article "Who Was the Girl With the Pearl Earring?" by BENJAMIN BINSTOCK.
3. Read the article about how Vermeer used to make his paint: "Girl with a Pearl Earring" by Vermeer's Palette.
1. How well do you think the film illustrates social and cultural contexts of the human condition in Vermeer's time?
2. What is your personal reaction to the article discussing how Vermeer mixed his paints? Were you surprised at the amount of work that went into them, or does this meet expectations you would assume it would take to make paint before modern industrial techniques?
The response should include a reference list. Double-space, using Times New Roman 12 pnt font, one-inch margins, and APA style of writing and citations.