Assignmemt: Article Critique
Questions for Research Critiques of Behavioral Journal Articles
Research skills are critical to attaining and contributing additional knowledge in the field of applied behavior analysis.
Your critique should include:
1. Identify the research question and determine whether the need for the research was established (social significance).
2. Identify the dependent variable and evaluate whether the dependent variable was adequately objectively defined. Make recommendations for improvement. Determine whether the data collection system was appropriate and reliable. Support your conclusions.
3. Describe the participant population and how they were chosen or selected. Determine whether there are any concerns with the method of participant selection and how they could have been avoided.
4. Describe the independent variable and reflect on how practical the intervention would be to implement in your setting.
5. Reflect on whether there were any ethical concerns in the study as well as any ethical concerns you might have implementing the intervention as it is prescribed in the study.
6. Evaluate whether the stated research design is appropriate for the study. Recommend an alternative design you feel would have been more appropriate. Referring to the figures and graph and, using visual inspection of the data, determine whether clear experimental control was established. Identify any confounding variables present in the study and their effect on the outcome.
7. Evaluate the graphing conventions of at least 1 graph by comparing the conventions to the Guidelines for Preparation of Figures for JABA (see table below). Determine whether the graph was drawn according to conventions and if not, what corrections should be made.
8. Determine whether the size-of-effect was socially or practically significant. Indicate whether you agree with the authors' main conclusions. Recommend a social validation measure or an alternative measure the authors might have used.
Article: TEACHING YOUNG ADULTS WITH DISABILITIES TO RESPOND APPROPRIATELY TO LURES FROM STRANGERS by MARISA H. FISHER, MEGHAN M. BURKE and MEGAN M. GRIFFIN.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.