Select one of the following prompts and answer in the form of a well-developed essay. Follow MLA guidelines. Write a minimum of 1350 words. Use a minimum of four secondary sources, two of which must be peer-reviewed. Many can be found through the school library in the form of articles, books, and videos.
1. The setting is both the time and geographic location within this work of drama. It helps determine the conditions and mood of the play. "A Raisin in the Sun" is set in Southside Chicago in the late 1950s. Much of the action unfolds in the small, two bedroom apartment in a tenement building. The Youngers hope that a better life lies ahead in the neighborhood of Clybourne Park. Note that Clybourne Park isn't a real place, but it's based on the Washington Park subdivision of Chicago's Woodlawn neighborhood, where Hansberry moved with her family as a child.
o Consider the social climate of Chicago during Lorraine Hansberry's time. What were some of challenges that she and her family faced, especially her father. How did they handle these issues? Much of this is discussed in the documentary Sighted Eyes, Feeling Heart (2017) by Tracy Heather Strain. (DVD on reserve at the library).
o Discuss how Hansberry's and her family's experiences are reflected in the play.
2. Choose one of the following major characters or two minor characters:
Major: Walter Lee Younger, Ruth Younger, Beneatha Younger, Travis Younger
Minor: Joseph Asagai, George Murchison, Karl Lindner, Bobo
Each character has a mission, passion or purpose. What strategies does the selected character(s) need to use to fulfill their mission, passion or purpose? Are there or will there be any challenges faced along their path? What are the best ways to overcome them? Is this a solitary journey or can there be help, cooperation, or collaboration?
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also includes a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.