INTRODUCTION TO LIFE SCIENCE - ASSIGNMENT
The Case of the Dividing Cell Questions
Part I Questions:
1. What are the major events that occur during each of the stages in the life cycle of a cell such as a skin cell, i.e., Interphase, Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase, Telophase, and Cytokinesis? Assume you are a court reporter that has to explain these stages to your readers with as little jargon as possible.
2. How does cell division differ in prokaryotes and eukaryotes? Clearly, these differences may be difficult for the prokaryotes in the jury to follow unless you show the similarities and differences.
Part II Questions:
1. Record the stages of meiosis in eukaryotic cells realizing that there are two cell divisions involved, each having their particular terms and characteristics.
b. Prophase I
c. Metaphase I
d. Anaphase I
e. Telophase I
f. Prophase II
g. Metaphase II
h. Anaphase II
i. Telophase II
2. List at least 3 key differences between mitosis and meiosis.
3. Crossover occurs between homologous pairs of chromosomes, but can it occur between two different chromosomes, say between #1 and #17?
4. Was it an evolutionary necessity that meiosis evolved at the same timeas sexual reproduction?
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also Include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.