Directions: Be sure to save an electronic copy of your answer before submitting it to Ashworth College for grading. Unless otherwise stated, answer in complete sentences, and be sure to use correct English, spelling and grammar. Sources must be cited in APA format. Your response should be four double-spaced pages; refer to the "Assignment Format" page located on the Course Home page for specific format requirements.
After completing this assignment you will be able to:
• Explain the basic concepts involved in fluid and electrolyte regulation
• Explain the different buffering systems of the intracellular and extracellular fluid
• Understand how homeostasis may be disrupted if the appropriate balance of body fluids is not maintained
1. Describe the differences between intracellular fluid (ICF) and extracellular fluid (ECF) including:
a. Location in the body
b. Characteristic ions
2. Sodium and potassium are the largest contributors to electrolyte balance in the body. Describe one (1) way in which they each participates in electrolyte balance in the body.
3. The composition of body fluids is extremely important to maintaining homeostasis in the body. Discuss three (3) ways that homeostasis may be disrupted if the appropriate electrolyte levels and pH of body fluids are not maintained. Describe two (2) solutions that are available to return the body to homeostasis.