Assignment: Substance-Related And Addictive Disorders
The sign of an effective clinician is the ability to identify the criteria that distinguish the diagnosis from any other possibility (otherwise known as a differential diagnosis). An ambiguous clinical diagnosis can lead to a faulty course of treatment and hurt the client more than it helps. In this Assignment, using the DSM-5 and all of the skills you have acquired to date, you assess an actual case client named L who is presenting certain psychosocial problems (which would be diagnosed using Z codes).
To prepare: Use a differential diagnosis process and analysis of the Mental Status Exam in "The Case of L" to determine if the case meets the criteria for a clinical diagnosis.
Submit a 5- to 7 page paper in which you:
• Provide the full DSM-5 diagnosis. Remember, a full diagnosis should include the name of the disorder, ICD-10-CM code, specifiers, severity, and the Z codes (other conditions that may need clinical attention).
• Explain the full diagnosis, matching the symptoms of the case to the criteria for any diagnoses used.
• Identify 2-3 of the close differentials that you considered for the case and have ruled out. Concisely explain why these conditions were considered but eliminated.
• Identify the assessments you recommend to validate treatment. Explain the rationale behind choosing the assessment instruments to support, clarify, or track treatment progress for the diagnosis.
• Explain your recommendations for initial resources and treatment. Use scholarly resources to support your evidence-based treatment recommendations.
• Explain how you took cultural factors and diversity into account when making the assessment and recommending interventions.
• Identify client strengths, and explain how you would utilize strengths throughout treatment.
• Identify specific knowledge or skills you would need to obtain to effectively treat this client, and provide a plan on how you will do so.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also Include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.