Create a 10 slide PowerPoint presentation that compares how different communities respond to crises, describes obstacles to providing health care services related to community crises, and explains current practices for providing health care services related to community crises. Recommend an evidence-based nursing response for providing health care services related to community crises.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
• Competency 1: Explain the factors that affect the health of communities.
o Explain how a crisis situation affects community health.
Competency 3: Develop an evidence-based nursing response for providing health care services related to community crises.
o Compare different approaches for responding to a community crisis.
o Describe obstacles to providing health care services related to a community crisis.
o Recommend an evidence-based nursing response for providing health care services related to community crises.
o Explain current practices for providing health care services related to community crises.
Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations of a nursing professional.
o Write content clearly and logically with correct use of grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.
o Correctly format citations and references, using current APA style.
• Toggle Drawer
As in acute nursing, emergencies do arise in the community/public health arena. These emergencies can take the form of manmade or natural disasters. Health care professionals have had to increase their awareness of their duty to care during these situations. The need for planning and preparing for these possible events is being reinforced (Tomczyk, et al., 2008). Public health nurses bring specific skills to disaster response. Their roles can range from first responders to policy developers.
Tomczyk, D., Alvarez, D., Borgman, P., Cartier, M., Caulum, L., Galloway, C., ... Meske, D. (2008). Caring for those who care: The role of the occupational health nurse in disasters. AAOHN Journal, 56(6), 243-250.
• Toggle Drawer
Questions to Consider
To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of the business community.
• What would you do in the event of a disaster?
• What information would be critical to have, to ensure appropriate care for your loved ones?
Access the following resources by clicking the links provided. Please note that URLs change frequently. Permissions for the following links have either been granted or deemed appropriate for educational use at the time of course publication.
• Federal Emergency Management Agency. (2008, January). Emergency support function #8 - Public health and medical services annex (ESF #8).
• Lee, C. H. (2010). Disaster and mass casualty triage. American Medical Association Journal of Ethics, 12(6), 466-470.
• Columbia University Medical Center. (n.d.). National center for disaster preparedness.
• Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (n.d.). Emergency preparedness and response: Preparation and planning.
• Association of Public Health Nurses Public Health Preparedness Committee. (2013). The role of the public health nurse in disaster preparedness, response, and recovery [Policy statement].
Suppose you have been invited to participate in a roundtable discussion meeting on the development of a community response to crises. To prepare for this discussion, you have been asked to research ways that other communities have provided health care services during crisis situations, identify best practices, and develop a nursing response for providing health care services. You would be presenting your research and nursing response to the roundtable panel during the meeting.
Select two communities that have suffered a crisis of some kind within ten years of each other. For example, you might choose to look at New Orleans and Hurricane Katrina in comparison to New Jersey and Hurricane Sandy. You might address the 2011 tornado outbreak and compare the response of Joplin, Missouri with the response of Birmingham, Alabama. Or, you might choose to look at the responses to volcano eruptions in Hawaii as compared to Washington State. You are not limited to natural disasters; feel free to explore environmental disasters and outbreaks of disease. Try to choose the type of crisis situation that could occur within your own community.
Once you have selected your two communities and their comparable crisis situations, look in the Internet for scholarly journal articles on how health care professionals responded to the crises.
For this assessment, create a PowerPoint presentation that examines provision of health care services related to community crises, from a nursing perspective. In your PowerPoint, address the following:
• Compare the different approaches of two communities for responding to a community crisis.
• Explain how the crisis situation in each community affected the overall health of the community.
• Describe potential obstacles in your own community to providing health care services related to community crises.
• Explain current practices in your own community for providing health care services related to community crises.
• Recommend an evidence-based nursing response for providing health care services related to community crises.
o Your nursing response does not need to be overly detailed. In real life, a nursing response would be the work of a committee or another group, based on the research and recommendations of others.
o Your nursing response should provide foundational research and recommendations based on evidence. Consider things such as triage points, communication methods, caring for staff, providing basic necessities such as food and water, use of other organizations for shelter, and so on.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also Include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.