Assignment: Public Policy
Imagine you are a state or city government policy adviser. The governor or city mayor has asked your boss to brief them on a critical problem facing your community (and therefore one of your agency's top policy priorities). You need to develop a comprehensive policy memo that will give your boss:
(1) the critical background information he/she needs on the issue at hand;
(2) analysis of the influence of the state/city legislature, the judicial system, and other state/city government agencies on the formulation and implementation of a specific policy;
(3) an evaluation of the influence that interest groups, political parties and the media have on the policy at hand;
(4) a set of options/solutions for your boss to consider regarding a path forward with all these political players (including pros and cons for each option); and,
(5) a recommended strategy that you want your boss to present to the governor or mayor to win support for your agency's policy agenda.
To recap, your memo should:
- Clearly and concisely state the problem you are trying to tackle
- Provide a summary of the current policy context / relevant background
- Analyze the influence of the state or city legislature, the judicial system, and other agencies
- Evaluate the influence of interest groups, political parties, and the media
- Present a set of solutions to the problem for your boss to consider, including pros and cons for each
- Make a realistic recommendation of one of those options and provide further justification for why you are saying that option is the best.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be 2000 words, typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also Include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.