Discuss criteria for successful market segmentation. Successful market segmentation depends on four basic criteria:
(1) a market segment must be substantial and have enough potential customers to be viable;
(2) a market segment must be identifiable and measurable;
(3) members of a market segment must be accessible to marketing efforts; and
(4) a market segment must respond to particular marketing efforts in a way that distinguishes it from other segments.
1. As a marketing consultant for a chain of hair salons, you have been asked to evaluate the kids' market as a potential segment for the chain to target. Write a memo to your client discussing your evaluation of the kids' segment in terms of the four criteria for successful market segmentation.